There has been a long held myth by the Republican Party that they are more conservative than there Democratic counterparts. They depend on this myth to get them elected in times of economic strife and they depend, as they do on many other issues, on the ignorance and the fear they try to offer to the great people of America in place of real solutions.
Case in point…Earmarks.
Despite what the Republicans would like to tell you, earmarks, a true mark of the “out of control liberal spending” that Far right wingers try to make us fear, is nearly monopolozed by the Republican Party.
Here is a list of the Republicans in the Senate that have more earmarks than Democratic Nominee Senator Obama. Keep in mind that since the Republicans no longer have the majority, there earmarks are substantially lower than 2006.
1. Senator Chocran, Miss. 837 Million
2. Senator Spector, Penn. 218 Million
3. Senator Shelby, Alabama 427 Million
4. Senator Stevens, Alaska 456 Million
5. Senator Bond, Missouri 454 Million
6. Senator Dominici, New Mexico 246 Million
7. Senator Grassley, Iowa 323 Million
8. Senator Hutchinson, Texas 254 Million
9. Senator Warner, Virginia 252 Million
10. Senator Vitter, Louisanna, 233 Million
11. Senator Smith, Oregon, 151 Million
12. Senator Chambliss, Georgia 167 Million
13. Senator Dole, North Carolina 147 Million
14. Senator Voinovich, Ohio 162 Million
15. Senator Lugar, Indiana, 130 Million
16. Senator Inhofe, Oklahoma 146 Million
17. Senator Bennett, Utah 137 Million
18. Senator Coleman, Minnesota, 172 Million
19. Senator Craig, Idaho 137 Million
20. Senator Isakson, Georgia 160 Million
21. Senator Burr, North Carolina, 116 Million
22. Senator Martinez, Florida 128 Million
23. Senator Coryn, Texas 154 Million
24. Senator McConnel, Kentucky 185 Million
25. Senator Collins, Maine 131 Million
26. Senator Crapo, Idaho, 121 Million
27. Senator Snowe, Maine, 120 Million
28. Senator Allard, Colorado, 100 Million
29. Senator Hatch, Utah, 131 Million
30. Senator Sessions, Alabama, 213 Million
31. Senator Thune, South Dakota, 168 Million
32. Senator Alexander, Tenn. , 124 Million
33. Senator Grahm, South Carolina, 103 Million
34. Senator Ensign, Nevada, 103 Million
Along with three Congressional Republicans that are spending above Senator Obama's 98 Million in earmarks.
Sorry about the long post DMDem, but this needed to be said…
PS.. Tom Latham Ranks 15th in all of congress in Earmarks and Steve King is spending more than “Liberal” Democratic Congressman Bobby Rush of Illinois.