Claiming to have "a broad, statewide network that can work together to defeat Chuck Grassley," former Lieutenant Governor Patty Judge today released a list of nearly 60 prominent Iowa Democrats supporting her candidacy for U.S. Senate. I enclose below the full campaign statement, which highlighted endorsements from:
• "every living Democratic woman to hold a statewide office in Iowa," namely former Attorney General Bonnie Campbell, former Secretary of State Elaine Baxter, and former Lieutenant Governors Sally Pederson and Jo Ann Zimmerman. Gender will be a factor for many Iowa Democrats weighing their choices in the four-way IA-Sen primary.
• "activists and community leaders," such as LGBTQ advocates Nate Monson, Cecilia Martinez, and Bobbi Fogle; Jill June, the longtime leader of Iowa's largest Planned Parenthood chapter; Joe Henry, national vice president of the League of United Latin American Citizens; and former Secretary of State nominee Brad Anderson.
• "current and former elected officials," including former U.S. Representative Leonard Boswell, Polk County Auditor Jamie Fitzgerald, former Davenport Mayor Bill Gluba, and former Cedar Rapids Mayor Kay Halloran.
• former Iowa Democratic Party chairs Rob Tully and Michael Kiernan (and Bonnie Campbell), along with current and former county party chairs.
Also worth noting:
• While Judge's list is heavy on Iowans who backed Hillary Clinton for president, it includes some well-known Bernie Sanders endorsers like Gluba and Henry.
• Judge has not peeled away any of the 61 Democratic state lawmakers (including 25 women) who endorsed State Senator Rob Hogg for IA-Sen earlier this year, before the former lieutenant governor and Iowa secretary of agriculture was known to be considering this race.
Any comments about the Senate campaign are welcome in this thread. With all respect to Judge and the women and men named below, someone who aligned herself with the Iowa Farm Bureau against efforts to clean up waterways will never get my vote in a Democratic primary.
P.S.- I got a kick out of seeing both Joe Henry and Des Moines activist Sean Bagniewski on Judge's supporter list. Less than two weeks ago, they were key players on opposite sides in the epic drama also known as the Polk County Democratic Convention.
March 23 press release:
Patty Judge announces widespread endorsements in U.S. Senate Race
DES MOINES, Iowa – Patty Judge has released a list of public endorsements in her bid for U.S. Senate.
“I’m honored to have the support of a wide range of leaders across Iowa,” said Patty Judge. “This is the kind of broad, statewide network that can work together to defeat Chuck Grassley and send a clear message that Iowans are tired of his obstruction in Washington.”
Judge’s list of endorsements includes activists and community leaders from across Iowa. Among Judge’s supporters are current and former Democratic county chairs, former Iowa Democratic Party chairs, and current and former elected officials. Judge also received the backing of every living Democratic woman to hold a statewide office in Iowa. In addition to these endorsements, Judge’s campaign has received contributions from over 3,000 individuals and had over 4,500 Iowans sign her nominating petition in just two weeks.
“I’m excited to grow this campaign in the weeks and months ahead. We’re going to keep the pressure on Chuck Grassley and keep our momentum going,” added Judge.
Wayne County Democrats Chair
Lucas County Democrats Chair
2012 Obama State Director, 2014 Democratic Secretary of State Nominee
President of Beaverdale Democrats
Former Iowa Secretary of State
Story County Central Committee Member
Former Iowa Congressman
Democratic Activist, Former Democratic State Central Committee Member
Mount Pleasant City Attorney
Lauren M.G. Burt
Former Iowa Attorney General
Political Chair, Simpson College Democrats
Marion County Democrats Secretary
Polk County Auditor
Former Decatur County Democrats Chair
Former Davenport Mayor
Coralville City Council Member & Mayor Pro Tem
Melanie Cloud Gross
Former Iowa Democratic Party Caucus and Convention Director
Former Cedar Rapids Mayor
Winnebago County Democrats Chair
Appanoose County Central Committee Member
LULAC National Vice President, Midwest Region
Former President of Graceland University
Monroe County Democrats Chair
Former Planned Parenthood of the Heartland Executive Director
Former Iowa Democratic Party Chair, Former Des Moines City Council Member
Richard & Linda Larkin
Lee County Democrats Chair
Former Marion County Democrats Chair
DREAMER & LGBTQ Advocate
Van Buren County Democrats Chair
Former Iowa Lt. Governor
Cindy Pollard and Gayla Snook
Decatur County Democrats Chair
Marion County Democrats Vice Chair
Buchanan County Democrats Chair
Former Iowa Democratic Party Chair
Jessica Vanden Berg
Monroe County Central Committee Member
Monroe County Democrats Vice Chair
Clarke County Democrats Chair
Osceola County Democrats Chair
Osceola County Democrats Affirmative Action Chair
Jo Ann Zimmerman
Former Iowa Lieutenant Governor